Tax Collector

Sandra Devaney- 207-549-3828

Tax Collector:

Motor Vehicle Registrations

What you need to bring with you for:

Vehicle Renewals:

* Valid proof of insurance

* The expiring registration

* The current mileage

* Valid proof of residency

New Registration, Dealer Sale:

* Proof of Sales Tax paid

* The Title Application (blue)

* Factory Window Sticker, if Brand New Vehicle or current mileage 

* Valid proof of insurance insurance

* Valid proof of residency

New Registration, Private/Casual Sale:

* A Bill of Sale  *PDF Attached*

* Previous owners Title (if 1995 or newer), signed over to the new owner

* Current mileage

* Valid proof of insurance

* Valid proof of residency


* All transfers require the above pertinent information plus:

* Registration of the vehicle you are transferring from.  You must no longer own that vehicle, it must be traded, sold or junked in order to transfer. 

* Valid proof of residency

New Maine Residents:

* You will need your out of state registration

* You will need your out of state Title or loan documents showing what financial institution holds the title

* Current mileage

* Valid proof of insurance

* Valid proof of residency

Please call the office for special situations, such as: out-of-state sales, name changes, additions or deletions to registrations, duplicate registrations, etc.  (207) 549-3828. Not all situations can be addressed on this webpage.

Vanity Plate Availability Check:

We cannot photocopy registrations. Duplicate registrations are available for $6 if yours is lost.

Please let us know before starting your registration if you are required to file an SR-22.

Proof of Residency is Required to Register ANY Vehicle

This is a policy that was put in place by our Select Board.  Acceptable forms of proof are as follows:

Rapid Renewal

Somerville is on Maine Rapid Renewal! 

What you will need:

Your CURRENT vehicle registration—Data must be entered accurately

Your insurance card

Your vehicle's current mileage

Who CANNOT use this service:

Your registration expired more than 7 months ago

You must re-new in person if your vehicle is in one of the following categories:

Island Use



Over 12,000 pounds GVW


Special mobile equipment


Municipal or State vehicle

We Take Cards!

We can take card payments at the Town Office now! There is a 2.5% fee for card processing, however the town does not get that money. 

Per Maine PayPort ePayments: 

"The customer has been informed that PayPort is a service offered by a third party working in partnership with the State of Maine and this municipality. As part of our service to you, we will remit the designated portion of your payment to the municipality on you behalf. The balance funds the operation of this and other online services. Conducting business through Maine PayPort is voluntary and the final cost may be higher than using other forms of payments. This service is provided by the Information Resource of Maine (InforME) as designated in statute of (M.R.S.A. Title 1, Ch. 14). 

Tax Collection

Property taxes are billed once yearly and are due in two payments. Those payments are due in November and May, the dates differ slightly per year. See below for the most recent dates.

2023 Tax Payment Dates:
1st payment is due 11/15/2023
2nd payment is due 5/15/2024
(If mailing, it must be US postmarked by date due)

The Town's tax year runs July 1st to June 30th.   

Payments can be made in person at the Town Office or by mail to:  Town of Somerville, Tax Collector, 72 Sand Hill Rd Somerville, Maine 04348.  When paying by mail please be sure to include your payment stub from the tax bill or at least your account number.  If you would like a receipt please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope. 

Payments can also be made over the phone with a credit card, however, there is a 2.5% fee. We also have online tax payments available at: 

NOTE online tax payment is only for the current tax year, not for anything prior.


Q. Does the Town mail my tax bill to my mortgage company?

A.  No, tax bills are mailed to the property owner only.  It is the property owner's responsibility to forward the bill to their mortgage holders.

Q.  I sold my property, why did I get a bill?

A.  Per State Law, taxes are assessed to the owner of record as of April 1st.  If you have sold your property since April 1st, it is your responsibility to forward the bill to the current property owner. 

Q.  I sold my property and the taxes were handled at the time of closing, why did I receive the entire bill?

A.  Pro-ration of taxes between buyers and sellers does not involve the town.  Monies can be collected for taxes at the time of closing and appear on the closing statement but may not be paid to the town.  It is a good idea to check with the town about property tax status soon after the purchase of property.